In late May of 2006, we managed to get hold of Eoin Colfer for a quick 10-question interview, which he has also placed on his very own site! The questions and answers that we asked are below:
1) First of all, this year is going to be one busy year for you. You have the release of two books. Half-Moon Investigations and Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. But out of everything, what are you personally looking forward to the most? And will you be touring with the release of these two books this year?
I have just finished a US tour for Half Moon and will be off on another one for Artemis 5 in Oct. I think the professional thing I am most looking forward to is a week long run of the Fairies, Fiends and Flatulence show in London next October.
2) There are many rumours surrounding the Artemis Fowl movie, many say it isn’t happening, or is going to happen at all. Is there any light you could shed on this to keep us pacified? A Director? A possible cast?
All that I can say is that the movie is moving ahead. I am working on the story outline with the director at the moment. The rest is all very hush hush.
3) If you were forced to go to dinner with any one of your created characters, who would it be and why?
I would like to split a pizza with Artemis himself and pick his brains about every topic from Impressionist art to computer systems. Perhaps he could give me a theme for my next book.
4) Which books were the easiest and hardest to write? Why?
Benny and Omar was the easiest to write because I was living through most of it every day in Africa. The first Artemis Fowl was the hardest book to write because I was creating an entire world.
5) Rumours have started to spread that there is a female criminal mastermind in “The Lost Colony,” and that Artemis might get seriously wounded… is this true?
I don’t want to give too much away before September, but the female mastermind rumour sounds pretty accurate to me.
6) A while ago, there was a mention of a possible sequel to “The Supernaturalist,” is there any news on this?
I have an idea for the sequel but I haven’t started work on it yet. Maybe next year.
7) Which is your favourite quote from the entire Artemis Fowl series?
I like the now famous line when Holly first meets Artemis and she says: “Stay back, human. You don’t know what you’re dealing with.”
8) Have you ever read any of the millions of fan fiction stories for Artemis Fowl? If so, what do you think of them?
I have read some. The standard varies, but some are definitely the work of future published authors- if they stick at it.
9) Many people would love to know something very important. What on Earth does Foaly’s custom-made swivel chair look like? We’ve been wondering for ages!
A bit like an old fashioned Chopper bike with leg holes. It doesn’t sound very practical does it.
10) And last but not least, do you have a favourite Artemis Fowl book?
My favourite is always the one I am working on, so at the moment that is The Time Paradox.